Monday, June 07, 2010

It stands for Professional Computer, right?

I am not sure how it happened, but over the last few months, I somehow forgot that I actually have a blog. The possible reasons why are numerous. It may be that I got really involved in selecting and enrolling in my classes for next year at the University of Toronto. It could also be that I was busy with Young Womens. Another likely distraction is Twitter and my deep desire to know what celebrities and common folk alike are doing on a daily basis. Whatever the case may be, it has been quite the hiatus and I am finding it difficult to get back into the swing of things.

I guess I can just start with the big news of the day: I am getting a laptop this evening!! It is actually the first "real" computer that I will be semi-purchasing (there is a lot of help coming from Mom and Dad!!) as I don't really count the 2 I inherited from my dad in the past. One of them I left beside a dumpster in Edmonton...classy! The other is still up above my closet as I wasn't really sure how to set it up. I am just now realizing that I may have to step out of my Luddite comfort zone and attempt to become tech savvy. There's a book for that, right?

Anyway, I was going to go with what I know and get a PC, but I think that my father has some sort of aversion to even being part of a purchase of said machine. He has convinced me to go the way of the rest of the family, visit the dark side, and get me a Mac. Now, the "gentleman" at Laptop World would have me believe that a PC user such as myself would not be able to easily transition to an Apple; however, he did not account for the fact that I am not really an expert at using a PC. To say that I am a proficient would most likely be a gross overstatement. I do get by, but not without the help of my extremely tech savvy roommate. So, I am starting fresh. I am going to learn as I go. I know it will not be easy: even with my limited PC abilities, I have experienced some "frustrations" when trying to use my parents' Apple. My dad has been known to hear me ask him (several times) why I can't just close the "windows".

Wish me luck!! If you have any advice, it would be much appreciated!

1 comment:

Adam said...

The only advice I have is: you made the right decision! After 3 years my pc was NOT the same computer I had purchased. After almost 3 years my Mac is, if possible, even BETTER than when I first got it.