Thursday, March 04, 2010

Town Day

Hello to you all from this most wonderful of Thursdays!! First (and most exciting) announcement of the day: I have been (almost officially) accepted to the University of Toronto. The department for Adult Education has accepted me as a...Grad Student (wow! I love saying that...), and they just have to send their recommendation back to the Registrar (hey, does anyone else still miss bureaucracy?) who will be sending out the official Acceptance letters at the end of March. When I got the email this morning, I read it a few times, because it kind of sounded like the department had only recommended me. However, upon several more readings and consultations, the fact that the email began "We are delighted to inform you", as well as the fact that I have been a assigned a faculty advisor, I have decided that it is real. I have been offered the chance to complete my Masters of Education in Adult Education and Community Development.

I am still going to wait to see if I am accepted at Mount St. Vincent in Halifax, but Toronto was my number one choice. I am just so unbelievably excited!!

Because it is Thursday, I couldn't leave you all without your weekly dose of poetry. I wrote a poem yesterday that is kind of in direct contrast with the sunshineness of today, but it is extremely topical for our week at work. So, sorry for the downer, but I really like this one.


Autograph

He speaks with his hands
his knuckles bear the marks of her face
Each one has taken something-
her fearless smile
every open expression
her brightly mocking eyes-
even the upward swing of her chin
is smeared across his skin.

All these pieces of her
weight his fingers like
championship rings.

He hits her with his mouth
every word dances
like a boxer's swiftest jab
that finds its mark every time
with vulgar accuracy-
darkening and shadowing her soul until
she is half again last year's woman
the palest copy of a long-ago girl.

In the good times
his silence is full of screaming and
his sweetness is a portent.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

One word...chilling. I am fascinated by your talent and my goosebumps won't go away.

tlo said...

Jenny, how do you do it? Every time I read your poem I cry. I am also crying with excitement about Grad school!

d d p h o t o g r a p h y said...

hey Jenny,

so i didnt want to be one of those blog stalkers that never comments..so here i am!

I just stumbled here from Ginger's new blog..and can i say...umm...wow!

this poem is haunting..your talent for words amazing..Congratulation on the next big step in your life! you will hopefully love the T.dot! its practically my hometown backyard! (dont let the Liberals suck you in or Ginger might disown you :)

Good luck Jenny, in all that you do!