Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Opem your eyes, look up to the skies and see...

Song of the Day!!!!

The song of the day comes to you from one of the cds I scored in the exchange this year. It is "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen, and it was from Leinani's cd. Thank-you to her for the resurgence of this song in my life. This song also ties nicely into...

...Story of the (back in the) Day!!!!

The movie Wayne's World came out when I was in grade 9, and I went with my friends into Lethbridge to see the movie. Of course, I loved it and because "Bohemian Rhapsody" was featured so very heavily in the movie, I embraced the song as well. I basically thought I had invented the song when my parents let me know that no, it had been around for awhile. I never did get much into Queen, but as I listened to the song again this morning, I was reminded of an experience I had with the song and HMV at the mall. At the time the movie came out, the song had a huge comeback, and it was everywhere. I happened to be in HMV a few months after Wayne's World was released. The song came on over the speakers, and every person in the store started to sing it. When it got to the infamous head-banging part, everyone in the store (including me...I was about 15) started dancing. It was actually a pretty significant occasion in my life. I had never been to a concert before, and to see people come together through music was exciting. I felt so cool to be part of that moment.

So, if you get a chance, listen to the song. Take yourself back. Enjoy something truly campy and spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2omuoO_hIbQ

3 comments:

Leinani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leinani said...

You mentioned me in your blog! Why have I only started following you now?!??

And as for the head-banging part, I always have to stop whatever I'm doing so I can shake my head around like a fool. Always. You can ask Denise.

Unknown said...

I totally remember you going to the movie! Thanks for the you-tube clip, Freddie Mercury is so amazing.