Thursday, September 24, 2009

Poetry Day ( with a little bit of jenny for free!!)

I stumbled across a blog today and I found some words of wisdom: "It's ok to wander. It's ok to explore."

These words made me think about how I can often get so caught up in worrying that I am not moving forward in my life, that I am not more "successful". At some point I think we have to realize that it is ok to stop where we are for awhile and look around us. We might meet someone new, we might be able to help someone in a fundamental way, we might be able to take a vacation, we might start seeing ourselves in a different way. We might even learn something valuable about ourselves or someone/something else.

Awhile ago, my Dad told me that instead of moving "up" in his career, he was going to branch out. He started to find different boards/foundations to be a part of. As a result, he started to develop new interests and discover strengths and abilities he didn't know he had.

I have realized that I want to do the same things in my life. I love to be involved in a lot of activities, service opportunities, and jobs: it helps me feel like my life is more fulfilling, I get the chance to meet so many great people, and I can stay busy.

It is so important to be happy where we are in our lives. Sometimes that does mean taking a breath and looking around for awhile. I found one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost today that I think adds something to my thoughts and discussion. I have a special place in my heart for Robert Frost, because I inherited a collection of his poems from my Grandpa after he died. My grandpa loved and wrote poetry, and I have always felt a special bond with him even though I was 12 when he died.

Have a wonderfully happy weekend!


A Time to Talk
by: Robert Frost

When a friend calls to me from the road

And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like this idea. I miss grandpa!