Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Someone should tell Sophia Loren what decade it is...

O.k., so I am still learning about Blogger. This picture goes with the last paragraph of this post. I am not smart enough to even figure out how to delete it or put it in the right place.




So I have solved a little mystery - call me Sherlock. I had misplaced my gold circa 1986 prom dress that I love to pull out for special occasions. I was so sad because it really was very classy and timeless. I was at my wit's end all weekend until I tuned in to the Academy Awards on Sunday night. Thank the heavens and all of the angels, it turned up. Sophia Loren was wearing it.


I am not really sure who told her that the dress was a good idea. Her stylist probably thought that such a garish gown might possibly distract from the train wreck that was her face. It makes me so sad that because of plastic surgery, a woman who was probably one of the most beautiful in the world, now just looks like a burn victim. I am reminded of Catharine O'Hara's character in "For Your Consideration". After she is nominated for an award, she undergoes plastic surgery, and the result is terrifying. (If you have never seen this movie, watch it immediately!)
Besides Ms. Loren's fashion adventure (and thievery...hm!), the Academy Awards were pretty enjoyable. They showed their recession roots when it took about 30 seconds to open up the curtains for a video presentation, but the musical numbers were exciting (directed by Baz Luhrman!) and Hugh Jackman was "just as cute as [he] could be"! (if anyone can identify this slightly altered quote, you will be the winner of this post, and my undying admiration for your knowledge of 1960's live action Disney films.) The clothes were understated with hints of couture (see Kate Winslet's dress and Jessica Biel's), the politics were about as over-bearing as they could be (We get it already, California!), and the right movie won Best Picture. Seriously, if you haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire, you really need to. Here is an interesting fact about the director: He also directed one of my favorite movies, "A Life Less Ordinary".
This past weekend was also the premiere of the "25-35 Lethbridge Midsingles" group with a fabulous pot-luck on Friday night. Leita and I have been planning to get a group started for awhile, and so we organized and advertised the pot-luck. At 7:00 pm on Friday, when there was only one person there, I was pretty worried. However, by 7:20, there were about 50 people there. It was such a tremendous success!! See the picture at the beginning of this post! There is so much excitement for another activity, and we are going to start planning right away!
Have a wonderful week, everyone!






5 comments:

tlo said...

"Parent Trap" Does the Maureen O'Hara character say it? to Vicki's Mom? Is that it? Your blogs are always a prize!

tlo said...

"Parent Trap" Does the Maureen O'Hara character say it? to Vicki's Mom? Is that it? Your blogs are always a prize!

tlo said...

What do Ido wrong?

tlo said...

I'm sorry -I'll stop commenting. Twice is just too much!

Unknown said...

Oooohh..curse Mom, she got it before me. I wanted to win! You are right, Sophia Loren looks utterly frightening....yikes.