Tuesday, January 06, 2009

...thy name is Karma

I have come to the conclusion that you should never say your beliefs/points of faith out loud, because you will be called on it later. I say this because I have had, excuse me, am having such an experience these days.

It all started on December 28th, when Andrea, Chris, and I were having a discussion about the scriptures that say that if you are making good decisions in your life, then all things will work together for your good. I mentioned that I believed this promise to be true, and that although we are faced with trials in our lives, we are still able to find happiness. Things will work out for us, although not always in a way that we anticipated. I also voiced my opinion that there are some realities that come our way that we just have to accept, because there is nothing we can do. Here are a few things that have happened since I said this:

1. My flight to Edmonton was cancelled because the flight attendant was sick, and all back-up crews were in Vancouver.

2. One of the student's classes changed times and days, which completely wreaked havoc with the rest of his schedule.

3. This morning I spent 30 minutes looking for my keys at my parents place, only to have Dad find them in my Mom's purse?

In all these cases I could have completely freaked out (well, I was pretty close this morning with my Dad) at someone else. I supposed I could have felt as though my life was ruined because I had to wait a few extra hours to fly, or find another class to fit into the student's time slot, or be 30 minutes late to work this morning. Instead I said a silent prayer (or three!) and went about my business. Not so shockingly, everything has turned out just fine. I got to Edmonton with lots of time to spend with Jess and Adam, we got the student into another class in the exact same time slot in a post-Christmas type miracle, and although I was late this morning, I got to drive in the light!

I saw a quote the other day, and if you will forgive me the cheesiness, I think it is great.

"We can not stop the wind, we an only adjust our sails"

Peace.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I think that is a great quote!!!

Unknown said...

Does anyone else want to slit their wrists when having a philosophical discussion with Chris???ARRGHHHHH!! If he didn't love Gordon Korman......