Sunday, January 04, 2009

A look back

Happy New Year, everyone!

Since I already did my progression to being an adult post a few weeks ago, I kind of covered the changes I made this year. So, I will once again steal Denise's idea, and do a highlights of 2008 post.

1. Travel - I had such an amazing time in Ireland this spring. The best part was traveling over by myself, and realizing that I can do things on my own. Sure, it was scary at times, but it was such a rush to find out everything, and make it from Lethbridge to the apartment in Dublin successfully. I also traveled to Edmonton last week, and enjoyed flying as opposed to driving.

2. Concerts - Ashley and I made it to "The Slice" for some small but enjoyable shows, we saw Sarah Slean in Calgary, where I passed my love for her music on to my friends!, and we had the amazing opportunity to see Peter Katz twice.

3. New job - I work with some fantastic people, and it is still great to be able to tell people I have a real adult-type job.

4. Working as a key-holder/master at Chapters. I got to work with the phenomenal management team, and I really enjoyed the responsibility of being in charge. I didn't know it would be so hard to step down, but it really was. I will miss working closely with the managers, and I will miss being able to call the shots occasionally. Some of the staff have already tried to boss me around since my return to the floor, but I will not be letting that happen any time soon. I have still been there longer than most of them.

5. The Midnight Masquerade - From the planning meetings to the decorating to the Television interviews, it was undeniably a ridiculous amount of fun. I gladly worked many overtime hours to help make it a success, and everyone who was involved put their hearts into it as well.

6. Moving to the North Side - Denise and I have a lovely apartment, and I am in a great ward. I really enjoy living with one other person. We are slowly decorating and making the place really ours. We would like to make it feel like a less temporary place, but I do keep telling Denise that she needs to get married soon so I can turn her room into a library!

7. Getting a car - I love having the freedom to be able to drive to Magrath if I want, or go to Calgary for the weekend. I am so grateful to Jess and Adam for helping me out.

I have had a great year, and I am looking forward to 2009. I have some resolutions, and I look forward to more great concerts, traveling stories, and maybe even some dating type stories starring me, instead of everyone else. For one last look back, though, I am including my track listing from my 2008 Year in Review cd entitled "No Dress Rehearsal"

1. Drive - Bic Runga "make me feel alive when I ride with you"

2.
Viva la Vida - Coldplay "I used to rule the world"

3.
If I were your Woman - Gladys Knight and the Pips

4. Your Wish is my Wish - Sarah Slean

5. My Brilliant Feat - Colin Hay "The world, it won't wait for you"

6.
Rise and Shine - The Cardigans

7. Come Around - Rhett Miller "Sometimes my heart tricks me in to thinking someone else will do."

8.
Between the Bars - Elliot Smith (every year end cd needs at least one downer, and who else but Eliot Smith to provide?)

9. Love on the Rocks - Sara Bareilles "Dulls my senses, drives my pain...but I do it again"

10. O.k. - Peter Katz "Try as I may, you might still walk away"

11. Stolen - Dashboard Confessional (this song, which I heard on "Scrubs" is a homage to my obsession with said show this year)

12. I am Aglow - Sarah Harmer "Does it matter that what I remember might be just my own imagination painting scenes more pretty?"

13. Free Fallin' - John Mayer (What is a year end cd without him?)

14. This Winter I Retire - Said the Whale (one of the great bands from "The Slice")

15. White Flag - Dido

16. Change Your Mind - The Killers "If the answer is no, can I change your mind?"

17. Now that You're Gone - Ryan Adams (this one might actually make you want to kill yourself)

18. Let your Loss be your Lesson - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

19. Life is a Song - Patrick Park "Maybe life is a song, but you're scared to sing along"

20. Which Will - Nick Drake (a song full of pertinent questions)




No comments: