Thursday, January 29, 2009

Something you may not have known about me

Y'all should probably stop reading this post cause I am going to let you in on a little secret. I am boring. It is true. How do I know this, you may ask? It has been told quite vehemently to me every Thursday night for the last 3 weeks, and I have a sneaking suspicion I will continue to hear it for the next 2. It has been told to me by at least 10 people, and they were pretty serious about it. In fact, tonight, one person even showed me a piece of paper where he had written the word "boring" in tiny letters about 50 times. He told me that this was just how boring my class was. What I wanted to tell him was that with his ugly little smirky face, his incessant eye-rolling, the slumping in his seat, and the Napoleon-like sigh every time I suggested any new activity, he was not really my favorite person either.

So, for all of you who do not live in Lethbridge, and have thus heard my complaints, I am teaching the "Home Alone" class again. this time I am teaching it at Galbraith school every Thursday for 5 weeks at the unholy hour of 3:45-5:45. I just finished week 3, and it is still touch and go at this point whether I will make it through the next two. The classes have consisted of me trying to be heard over the yelling, laughing and fighting of 16 children. (There are 18 in the class, and two of them are absolutely delightful. The other 16 are the pure spawn of Satan, I swear) The first week they complained the entire time that they were bored, that they hated everything, and that they just wanted to go home. The second week, after I had spent hours creating activities and about 15 dollars on snacks for them, they complained because I tried to make them do things. This week they went back to saying they hated everything and that they wanted to go home, and that, of course, they were bored. A few of them kept goping on and on about how they just wanted to be at home watching video games.

I feel as though I am not teaching them anything, I am just trying to get them to STOP TALKING for 1 minute. I realized that I could never have the patience to be a public school teacher because it would just be behavior monitoring all the time, and I really don't like being told I am boring and that children hate everything I try to do for them.

Anyway. Sorry for the rant. It will be over in two weeks.

Otherwise, things are pretty good. Work is getting crazy, but at least they like me there.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!! I will be in Edmonton so I will be having a great time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is the worst time in the whole day for all kids...what a curse. I hear "I have no energy", "I have nothing to do", " this is the worst day EVER" and "I'm soooo hungry" a million times a day in that block. No wonder they're complete divils for you...it's the infamous "witching hour"!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, and you're definitely not boring. A bit of a ticking time bomb, maybe, but not boring....

tlo said...

You are definitely!!! not boring. You just said it in the blog, they all wish at that time of the day that they were home playing video games or watching T.V. You are just the person that they are expressing their frustrations on at that time. It's hard not to take it all personally...but, don't! And being a teacher is a totally different story, but you've hears me say that before.