Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mostly a movie review

My promised post is a few days late, but it is the holidays after all. I would have written last night after work, but I went and saw "Australia" instead. I thought it was great, and I will say that Hugh Jackman really lived up to his "Sexiest Man of the Year" title. Yowsers! He was dirty, bossy, emotionally unavailable for the first 3/4, then teary-eyed and driven by a sense of justice for the last bit. The movie itself was big and had elements western, romance, comedy, and war-time action. At times it seemed to be trying to be too many things, but on the whole, the central themes tied it together. I think I loved it so much because it reminded me a lot of "The Man from Snowy River" with its sweeping shots of the landscape, and the afore-mentioned combination of romance, action, etc... It definitely had some of Baz Lurhman trademarks, especially some of the camera shots, and the story-telling elements. I will absolutely be seeing it again.

Well, Christmas is over, and it is time to start a new year. I have finished my "Year in Review" cd, and will be posting a track listing next week.

Here is the poem that I mentioned in conjunction with the e.e. cummings. On another reading, it isn't as much like his poem as I thought, but I still think it was weird that I had never read his before I wrote mine. Maybe I am being too fanciful, and they are not similar at all. Anyway, I wrote this poem in December 2005.


Trees for Sale

Standing in lines
taller and tallerest
kings of the motley lot.
Missing arms and fingers
lend a desperate air
to their straight shoulders and spines
limbs, some bent and sparse,
reach out to embrace
someone for Christmas-
my throat catches at their dignity
especially the ones
who were missed last year
praying these twelve months
will only have made them more-
these are the quietest and heart-achingly proudest.

But it is the little ones
I love the best
standing beside the kings
with unformed branches
truly green
in this cruel buy and sell world
knowing they will never measure up
but plucking up chins anyhow
hoping that somewhere
they will appeal to
the small ones of the world
People like me
who also ride this life
rooted close to the earth.

If I had a house
I would take them all,
line them up in every corner
let them take off their strained
"please love me" smiles
and give them something shiny to wear-
anything to erase the bright
searing memory of the saw,
the screaming realization
of what it means to be chosen
(things they never told you)
and the slow death
of fulfilling their destinies.

JKO, 2005





1 comment:

tlo said...

Yours is better - and not just because I am your mother, it really is. (talking about the poems)