Monday, November 24, 2008

Why I will never be an elementary teacher...

So, here is the news for the day. I have been writing here on the blogger for 2 years this month. I looked back to my first posts, and realized that 2 years ago this last weekend, I went on my first and only preference date. (If you were not a reader then, check out the story from November 2006...it's a gooder).

Last week was extremely busy, and here are a few of the things I was doing:

1. Working at Chapters on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evenings. Monday and Wednesday were pretty slow with not a lot of customers. In fact, on Wednesday, we were supposed to sell about $ 17, 000 (for those of you who do not have to attend Chapters meetings, that is a ridiculous amount to come up with on a Wednesday not in December!), and we made about 10, 000. I was actually a little afraid that I was going to be fired because that is the furthest from the budget we have probably ever been. Yeah! Friday and Saturday, however, were absolutely insane with Christmas shoppers out in spades. And, along with the Christmas shoppers comes some of our favorite things at Chapters Lethbridge: cranky people, line-ups, books that no one can find, messes around the store of gargantuan proportions, complaints about the U.S. / Canadian price differences (really? really?), and cranky people.

2. Work at the College is pretty insane right now with new students, old ones leaving, trying to pick out classes for students when they say no to every class you suggest (*$%@...), trying to compile schedules that don't conflict with everyone else's, tracking down instructors to sign audit forms, assignments to help finish, tests to study for... Come January, things will certainly settle down, but right now I am just counting the days until Christmas.

3. This past Saturday I taught the first session of a two part class through the Family and Life Studies here at the College. The class is called "Home Alone" and it is for children ages 8 - 12 who are going to be alone at home for whatever reason. It goes over safetly issues, leisure activities, nutrition, responsibilities and then first aid and the test are next week. I prepared for it all last week, and I was pretty nervous as I didn't really know what to expect. It went...o.k, but the kids were pretty crazy, and when they weren't crazy, they were really whiny. I found that 5 hours was a long time to have them for. Fortunately, next week there will be more activities, and I am going to make the test review as fun and as interactive as possible. It has been a good experience, and it is also great to get myself known here at the College in case I want to move to another department,

4. I attended Emily's baby shower and I got a chance to hold little Max, who is absolutely adorable. It was great to see Emily again, and spend a little time with her. I really do need to get together with her and tell her all the news.

This week I don't work as much, but I am going to see Peter Katz tonight at "The Slice" AWESOME!! He is so wonderful live. On Wednesday, I am going to Kade, Erinn, and Cam's Christmas concert at Southminister, and on Thursday we go out to Cardston for the Telethon. Telethon!!

Enjoy the week, everyone, and look for a PK review tomorrow!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Read about the preference date, it was awesome/disturbing. Who are these people?