Saturday, November 15, 2008

Local spinster makes good

Before I explain what the title is referring to, I have a warning for all of you who are currently featured on the facebook. Don't do anything, ever, without at least considering the possibility that someone will be there with a camera to capture the moment, and then display it to the virtual world. I have had a few experiences lately with this, and I have just had to reconcile myself to the fact that my extremely non-photogenic face will probably be featured at any given time in someone's album. I mean, they weren't exactly beating down my door prior to Facebook, so it's not like it is hindering my dating chances. However, please consider the fact that whatever you do, and wherever you go, there will probably be someone wielding a camera close by. You may not even know it until 3 days later, when you are regretting saying the things you did, or wearing the shirt that you did.

So, if you are tired of being caught unawares, here are a few things that you can do to avoid future regret.

1. Take a page out of Denise's book, and never, ever, go into public without your face on. This includes late night visitors to your house, early morning pop-ins, (and now that I have a camera Denise, really any time you are not in your room. And that does include the possibility of me waiting out in the hallway for you to come out of the bathroom)

2. Don't say anything that could be taken out of context, misunderstood, make you sound boy-crazy, or really anything at all. Many cameras have video recorders on them now.

3. Un-tag yourself in any picture that comes up on your profile. This is time-consuming if you are a social person, or just friends with someone who loves to take and display pictures, or really, if you leave you house at all. So, quit your job, and stay in to be there the second a picture of you goes up.

4. This next one may seem drastic, but follow my example and just don't go out at all. If you are not where the cameras are, you should be safe.

5. Pull an Alec Baldwin or Russell Crowe, and just go beat the crap out of the paparazzi scum who tried to photograph you in a bad pose. Although, remember that you are not a celebrity, so you may not be treated with the kid gloves by the law.

6. Get off Facebook. It's just another popularity contest, High School nightmare, way to be rejected kind of place anyway. (O.k., yes, the hypocrite is coming out in me here as I will probably be ion Facebook for awhile to come!)

7. Just go with it.

O.k., onto the title. Last night I went back to the 2nd Ward to sing some War-tyme music for their Remembrance Day Fireside. It went very well, and people were quite pleased to see me back. I really enjoyed it because I got to sing my favorite songs from that time period, and as I looked out over the audience, I could see people singing along, or smiling as they remembered hearing that music back in the day. I, myself got a little choked up when I finished the set off with "The White Cliffs of Dover"

Have a great Saturday everyone, and if you want to see me, come in the Chapters. I will be there all day...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll be singing it all night..thanks a lot!