Wednesday, November 12, 2008

"We lived our lives in fear!"

November 12th, 2008.

Last night I had the opportunity to watch one of my all-time favorite movies: Strictly Ballroom. For those of you who do not know of this movie, contact me immediately and I will lend it to you, for you must see it. It focuses on the ball-room dancing community in Australia, and it is worth watching for the costumes, the delightful histrionics of the different women in the movie, some great dancing, and some really crazy characters. It is directed by Baz Luhrman, and it predates “Romeo and Juliet” and “Moulin Rouge”. If you didn’t like these movies, you should still watch it because it isn’t as drug-induced as R and J, or as obnoxiously loud as MR.

I was talking with my parents about movies you can find that are real gems. My mom and I discussed the argument that if you have never heard of a movie, it might be an indicator that it is not overly awesome. This point has been proved probably hundreds of times, specifically when my Dad goes to the library to pick movies. He will come back with titles you have never heard of, and they are usually the worst movies ever made. However, in favor of hidden gems, I thought of “Cold Comfort Farm”, and “Persuasion”. Both of these I discovered by accident, and both are absolutely wonderful. They are both British movies, and quite independently made, so that may explain why they were virtually unheard of here.

Any thoughts or examples for either point?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Galaxyquest" (although more and more people seem to have watched it) and "Dave". Love them both...