Thursday, October 30, 2008

I am terrible at picking titles

It has been way too long since I posted something of my own creation, but I just have not been able to write any poetry. Maybe my life is going too well, and as we all know, most poetry is fraught with misery and heartache.

About 3 weeks ago, I had an idea for writing poetry that involved looking up a word in the dictionary, and then writing a poem around it. The word I looked up at that time was maelstrom. I have tried to write for the last 3 weeks, but nothing would come. The word maelstrom has been jumping around my brain the whole time. Then, last night I was laying in bed when a phrase came into my mind. I immediately jumped up and wrote it down, knowing I would forget it if I didn’t. (It is the last 2 lines of the following poem) So, with both these preparations in place, I sat down today and wrote. To warn everyone, I have been reading some pretty flowery love poems as of late, and I am sorry, but it shows in the poem.

Anyway, as always, enjoy; or don’t.

Opus

There are a thousand songs
I have written about you
I sing them
I am singing them
I do sing them.

My favorite one is about your smile-
how it burns and breathes
and brings me back
from the maelstrom that is
Your indifference.

There is anther one in my repertoire
about the magic
that still pervades your voice.
When you say my name
I am drowning in your words.

These songs-
They are legion
But they all end like this:
“You finish sentences
I started with my eyes.”

-JKO

3 comments:

Denise said...

Are you sure you were lying in bed? Come on, Jenny, I know the truth. :)

Fun poem! Next time you should try a funny word like mustard.

Unknown said...

You are so Emily right now. I need to read those books again!

tlo said...

I concur with Adam - I need a new blog entry!