Thursday, October 02, 2008

"God is in the boring details"

This week has been a great one so far, and here are some of the reasons why:

I have started reading the new Maeve Binchy, “Heart and Soul”, and I am quite enjoying it. I just couldn’t get into her last one, but this one has the elements I love about her books. Great characters, intertwining lives and stories, and of course, the always awful cheating ex/husband are all present and accounted for. Ah…no one writes a despicable man like Maeve…

The weather has been absolutely glorious. It has been in the early to mid twenties all week, and with the leaves changing, it makes me want to just lay a blanket down under a tree and dream the day away.

I watched last week’s episode of “The Office”, and this week’s episode of “How I met your Mother” Both were delightful!

We had a wonderful Mexican Fiesta night with Ashley on Tuesday. Denise made her delicious chimichangas, which I have now coined “Mexican pouches which bring delight”. They truly are angels food, and Denise, I will never walk away from you now that I have tasted them! ( I made a corn and bean salad that was nowhere near the caliber of the pouches, but complimented them just the same.) We added some Dilly-dip, and topped off the whole dinner with some low-acid apple juice. Top Night!

That night, Denise and I also got to run lines with Braden for the play he is preparing for. I had way too much fun doing this. The play was really funny, and I completely relished reading my part. Sorry to Braden for making it all about me!! I hope I was some help…

I have set some goals for myself this week. It is really time to get myself on track, and to find ways to feel good about myself and my choices.

I got a letter from our favorite missionary, Elder Garner. I was so happy to hear that he is doing well. He is now out in the mission field and sharing the truth, and more importantly, he is spreading the gospel of “Story of the Day”. It is my goal to see this phenomenon spread around the world in the manner of a pandemic, or “The Secret”. I do have to give a bit of credit to my parents, for the original “What was the best thing of your day”, but I like to think that “Story of the Day” has a Jenny flavor all its own. While we’re on the subject, here is a s.o.t.d. from yesterday. I was at Chapters, and Doreen came up to me and asked our policy on “no shirts, no shoes, no service”, because there was a guy who apparently had no shirt. I said we didn’t really have such a policy, but I went to find him, nonetheless. Yes, he had no shirt, but he was wearing a back-pack. I had to go to the office to laugh, because it was really not a great look for anyone. It also couldn’t have been very comfortable…

I finally remembered my gym clothes, and I will be going right after work...in about 20 minutes. If you see me tonight or tomorrow, please ask me how the gym was, and chastize me if I didn't go.

So, yeah. This week has been good, and I have been happy. I am so blessed to have 2 great jobs, an amazing family, and friends who tolerate me.

As it is poetry day (Yay!!) I will post one a little lighter than last week's. Canadian author Jean Little has written some absolutely beautiful children's poetry, and here is a tiny taste.

RAIN by Jean Little

Rain is as mischief-making as a child.
She pokes the Thunder's ribs until he roars.
She sits on steepled roofs and thrums her heels
And tickles grass and taps at solemn doors.

She dampens dignitaries and their wives,
Paints saucy freckle-faces on the roads,
Makes mud puddles and rainbows; then gets down
To scrub the tiny blissful backs of toads.

Have a wonderful weekend, I am pretty sure mine will be great. If you want to go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday, let me know!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I want to go to the Farmer's Market! Oh...but we can't :~(