Friday, August 08, 2008

Advice for the new job, anyone?

"It's all about hiding the crazy, and acting like the most confident girl in the room."

-Carla, "Scrubs"

So it's official...I have become a shut-in. It was a lofty goal, I know, and it has been a lot of work, but it has been a labour of love. I would like to thank all those who have gotten me here. In no particular order: Veronica Mars, Ugly Betty, all the folks from "Bones", and of course, all the crazy Scrubs-wearing friends from Sacred Heart. I couldn't have become a complete recluse without any of them. I think someone else's life is just so much more interesting than mine...and with any luck, all those characters will be my "real" friends any day now. Really...just one more episode should do it, and Logan Echolls will be mine!!

There has been a by-product of all this t.v. binging, and it is that the drama is starting to get to me. Specifically, the lack of it in my own life. Now, this is not a bad thing, but I find myself looking for crimes in Lethbridge anywhere I can. For instance...what would Veronica count as the best course of action for discovering who is stealing stuff from Denise's car every month? Should I have a good old fashioned stake-out, or concoct some complicated scheme to trap the perp?
Actually, I don't try to find the outside drama, as much as try to create some in my own life...which we all know is never a smart thing to do. Mostly, because my life is completely drama/scandal/romance free, and anything I might try to create will be just that...a creation.
So, I will cut back on the t.v. consumption, and try to remember what real people are like.

Sigh... I'm bored already.

Well, I am just finishing up my last full time week at Chapters, and it is extremely confusing. I have been there for 2 years, given my heart and a lot of sweat to making it the place it is today. I love the people there, they have been like my family. On the flip-side, I am starting a new challenge, I will have more money, and I am leaving some of my problems behind. Maybe the real problem is moving from a big fish in the small pond to...oh, you know the rest. Change is always such a dichotomy.

So, this weekend is already shaping up to be a great one. We first have a fashion Saturday, and then that evening, I am going to a party at the house of a friend from work. On Sunday, Gabe, Beckham, and I are heading out to church in Magrath and then we are having dinner with Mom, Dad, Mark, Steven, and Ben (who are staying with them while Andrea and Chris are in San Fransisco...lucky!!), Jess, Adam, Sam, and Erika. Proves to be loud, crazy, and definitely enjoyable.

Now, I know it isn't Thursday...but I will leave you with a little poem. This is one I wrote my first year of University, and I think the sentiments really apply for my current situation. If I have already posted it before, I apologize.

Hearing your Favorite Songs and other good omens

A familiar melody begins-
it plays somewhere
inside your veins
and you walk in time to it
'cause it's your time

It's always been with you
Maybe someone heard inside your head
and wrote the song
Your song-
yours and no other's

Something is possible-
The room is brighter and
you are more beautiful.

The world is suddenly navigated
and you find you're a map reader

-JKO, 2002

1 comment:

LeitaAnn said...

TV rocks!
Oh and I wouldn't mind doing a stake out with you guys, I was actually thinking of that when it happened again to Denise. What about a video camera?