Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mid-life crisis...already?

So, if you read Denise's blog, you will know that she and I ventured out to the "pool" last night in search of cool-down. Can I just say...Open Swim at Stan Siwick is an experience not to be missed. There were a ton of people there, mostly kids, and so there wasn't a lot of moving around. There were two guys, one not bad and the other completely hideous, who were giving me and Denise the eye. They were both on some sort of flotation device, and they kept steering it closer towards us. They were also engaging in much horseplay on said floater, which I am sure they thought made them look athletic and strong, but really just made them look pretty gay. There was also an Olympic wannabe who was doing some pretty crazy dives. When he surfaced, he did a butterfly stroke so vigorous that everyone within 10 feet of him was choking on the waves he created. We also got to watch the kids go on the ball, and I was reminded of when I was little. We used to swim in the Pincher Creek Pool and swing off the rope. It was so wonderful to just be in the water last night, and I was so much cooler after. I really do not enjoy the heat. At all.

So, I have finished one week and two days of the new job...and...I am still in two minds about it. I didn't realize it would be so much one on one with students with disabilities, and so there has been a lot of sitting around, taxiing people, riding on parade floats, and trying to find things to do. I feel like I am not doing a lot, and I am getting pretty bored. I know it will pick up in September, but even then, I am not sure it is what I want to do. So...do I hang on for a year just for the money, but setting myself back in finding a job I love, Or do I quit in the next 3 months and continue the job search? Or, continue the job search right now? I should probably give it more than just a week, but I really didn't want to work one on one with people with disabilities again.

Argh. I say again: ARGH. (much more vehemently this time)

Well, it is time for "Story of the Day" (no song accompanies this title) My story takes place at the infamous Whoop-Up Days parade. For all of you who are new to Jenny, it is the site of the incident that turned me off parades forever. This year, I got the chance to ride the Exhibition grounds float/horse-drawn trolley, and it did not suck too much. I did not wave to anyone, I hid my face whenever I spied someone on the sidelines that I knew, and I did not get off the ride. Do I love parades now? No. Will I ever go to a Raymond/Magrath/ Cardston parade while still single and poor? No. Will I grudgingly admit that it is not so much the parade itself, but my own issues and inability to forget my harrowing trying-to-get-back-on-the-float-experience that is tainting my view of parades in general? Absolutely.

Everyone enjoy your Whoop-Up days. If you see me at the Fair grounds, please don't let me eat too many mini donuts.

Good night and Good luck!

1 comment:

LeitaAnn said...

And they didn't ask for your numbers??