Saturday, April 19, 2008

Despite all my rage...

Another Saturday morning, and another blogging sesh.

I was supposed to drive out to the lovely metropolis of Magrath this morning to return my car to its rightful owner for a few hours, but because of the heavy snowfall (a meteorological warning snow-fall, no less) I am sitting here like a rat in a cage. Oh, what exciting unpredictable weather we do enjoy in this part of the country. I would write more about it if strange weather was not to be expected at any given time. Seriously, people, this is just par for the course here in good ol' Southern Alberta. 20 - 30 cm in a weekend in April is so ridiculously normal that I am literally yawning while thinking about it.

Bored now.

The breaking news is that I am now officially headed to Ireland in a few weeks with a real live passport. For the last two weeks there were some tense moments where I thought that either I wouldn't be traveling, or that I would have to poke out the eyes of the gentleman who told me my passport qualified for simplified renewal. It didn't. For all of you who have not heard the story, it involves me trusting the guy at the Lethbridge Passport Office, two forty- dollar trips to Calgary, hatred for all government employees, a beautiful maiden in distress, and finally the promise of a spleet-new Passport that will be ready to pick up on...May 2nd. Oh, yeah. It also features me sitting in the Passport Office in Calgary in the midst of a blizzard, wearing shorts and flip-flops.

So, last night I went to "The Slice" for another concert. Wait, I'll back up. A couple of weeks ago, Ashley and I went to "The Slice" to see someone perform on a friend's recommendation. We had no idea who it would be, and when we ended up seeing Danny Michel, we were blown away by his talent and his music. I think we were also each hosed out of 20 dollars, but maybe the guy working that night who charged us 25 dollars to stay for the concert could tell we were easy targets. Maybe he also really needed the money. Anyway, we went last night to see Peter Katz, who I had heard, but not seen. Besides being ridiculously, adorably, heart-stoppingly good-looking, he was unbelievably talented. It was just him and the guitar, but he sang with such energy, conviction, and all-out passion for his music, that he wanted for absolutely nothing. I know I sound a little overly-dramatic, but he was so wonderful to listen to. He was one of those performers that is so much better live, his recordings are almost a disappointment. It was seriously the best five dollars I have ever spent. The real highlight of the performance was when he came out in front of the sound system (and 1 foot away from me!!!) and sang without a microphone. He got people to actually stop talking, and played one of his most beautiful songs called "Forgiveness". It brought such an intimate dimension to the song itself, and to the whole room. This was no small feat because most of the people were there to hear the next band, which looked pretty young and mildly obnoxious-hence, a youngish, mildly obnoxious crowd at the venue. However, once he got people to quiet down, the message of "Forgiveness" is powerful, and it came through so much more palpably with his quiet and sincere rendition. Although he was the opener, he played for a full 45 minutes, and those of us at the front table were ever so grateful. After he finished I went over to put myself on his mailing list, and talked to him briefly. I don't remember what I said, I think I just stuttered out words such as "amazing" and probably came off as pretty crazy.

A big and most heart-felt thank-you to Eric Garner for introducing us to the music of Peter Katz, and letting us know abut the concert. It absolutely started my life.

Well, I think I am going to take advantage of the snow-day, and do some serious cleaning and de-junking of my room. For the last couple of weeks, I have been wanting to incorporate a new theme in my life. Simplify. I think that this will be the perfect way to start.

Stay warm. Enjoy the exile. Go to church.

Jenny

No comments: