Saturday, April 12, 2008

I should only write in the mornings

Here is something you may not know about me:

1. I have terrible bowling technique. Imagine, if you will, me picking up a ball that is much too heavy for me, and while I try gracefully to launch it smoothly down the lane, end up doing a weird hop/skip, twisting myself (and my back in the process) strangely, only to end up dropping the ball onto the wood (I don't think they like it when you do that). This moment culminates in a weird leg sticking out behind me/contorted back/arms askew pose that I am sure embarrasses even those who are enjoying said sport with me. The real problem here (my absolute lack of athletic ability aside) is that the balls that are the right size for me to lift/throw effectively have holes too small for me to fit my sausage-like fingers into. I am at fault, or the makers of the bowling balls are: Either my fingers are just too fat, or the holes are just too small. I am now faced with a series of choices, all of them distasteful. I can:
a. bulk up so that I can easily lift the heavier balls
b. Try to find out how to lose weight in my fingers/get some weird finger liposuction
c. Design and have someone make the perfect Jenny bowling-ball.
All of these choices are either too time-consuming, too expensive, or require a dedication to the game which, frankly, I just do not possess. So, whenever I do venture to "the alley", I will continue to humiliate myself and others. Now, despite all this talk of terrible technique, I at least didn't embarrass myself score-wise last night bowling a 75 and then an 85. Take that, tiny finger-holes!

A happy Saturday to one and all!! I am up early, due to me falling asleep at 11:30 on the couch (hard to believe, isn't it?) and on the computer, blogging and commenting up a storm. I have a little confession to make. I may or may not have found an article that is written weekly by a former professor of mine (yes, he of delicious jeans fame) for the newspaper at the university he now teaches at in Texas. Yes, I am an internet stalker, but I have enjoyed his submissions so very much. They are just witty enough, just thoughtful enough and just pretentious enough to make me wish it was still the summer of 2004 and I was once again attending his short-story class. His last article focused on the negative effects of television, and his often ridiculed decision he made a year ago to not really watch. I left a comment about customers in the book store who worship a the shrine of the only living American deity: Ms. Oprah Winfrey herself.
I know that Oprah is just getting people to read again, but my problem is that they will only read what she tells them to. There are literally thousands of books in the store, and millions more in the world, some of them even well-written. There is nothing wrong with taking guidance from friends, reviews, recommendations, etc when searching for something to read. However, if you are only taking one person's advice, you are missing out on so many more amazing reading experiences. Oprah's opinion is just that: only one person's opinion.
Anyway, I made a comment on his article (much less ranty) to that effect.

The weather is so beautiful this weekend, that I have decided to have a picnic on Sunday. This is a real rite of spring/summer for me, because the first potato salad of the year is always a celebratory moment. It signals the beginning of walks, family gatherings, frisbee playing, shorts, flip-flops, the patio at Mocha Cabana, and all of the other magical aspects of spring and summer. Plus, I just make a fantastic potato salad.

Get out in the sunshine. Come to my picnic. Go to church.

Jenny

1 comment:

Adam said...

I like cheese. Did you know that about me?