Sunday, November 04, 2007

"November's a special time of year...and I'll tell you why

So, funny story.

My phone is not as awesome as I previously imagined it to be; nor is it as reliable as I had anticipated. I set my alarm last night (or, in the wee hours of this morning) for 8:30, trusting that it would reset itself for the daylight savings time (Oh, an extra hour of sleep!!) So, my alarm goes off, I get up and start to do somethings and realize pretty soon that it is actually 7:30. Kill me!! At this point, I am already up and working on RS stuff (and really, still not feeling good at all), and so I know I will not be able to sleep again. So, I just called my parents to complain. It's nice to get sympathy for even the most trivial matters!

Well, I am exceptionally glad that this weekend is almost over, because I am about Chaptersed out. Our Local Author Event (yes, that is the name... I know it is boring, but I refused to go with "Authorpalooza") took place yesterday, and what a "-palooza" it was! It all started when the authors started coming an hour before the time I had asked them to. (Oh, are you shocked we're not quite ready for you?) Then, they all had questions. Then, the customers started coming. Most people were there for a specific book, and when we had some "technical difficulties" in getting that particular title on the system, I had to stand with the books (while the author did an interview for CFCN) and ask people not to take them anywhere while at least 15 people stared at me with hatred in their eyes, murder in their hearts, and whines on their lips. ("But that lady got to take one!") As they pressed closer and closer, increasing in numbers, voices rising in demand, I stood like a rock. No one was getting these books before we were ready to sell them. Thank heavens, it was only actually about 5 minutes...although it felt like 30. "A free-for-all with Martial Law" - thanks, Flick! It is my favorite thing when adults act like children because they can not get what they want. (Alright...pot, kettle, I know)

The Authors themselves were pretty crazy. One tracked me down to let me know every time she sold a book. She also hugged me twice, and then handed me a paper with her scheduled book signings and yelled "You've been Daisied!" Her book is about a daisy who wants to fly. Another one, after I showed him the ridiculous amount of food we had purchased for them, said, "Where's the coffee?"

Anyway, it went off very well (or so I'm told...I left early so I could come back for my split shift at 6:30 pm), and I am so glad its over. At least I got to be interviewed twice for Global news and once for the Herald. The term Events Coordinator was thrown around so much that even if it is a made-up position at the store, I am completely validated!!! Business cards can't be far behind!!

Well, it looks like it actually is 8:30 now, so I will officially start my day. Blogging is so much funner than sleeping anyway.

No comments: