Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Jenny is at work...False!

So, here I am at home...working. Yes, I feel like I'm already moving up in the world, taking work home. Yeah.

I will feel so much better when this Local Author Event is over. It isn't that I haven't enjoyed planning and organizing it, it's just that it will be nice to be able to take a breath and focus on the children's section for Christmas. I really do find the event coordinating fulfilling, and as much as I may complain, I secretly enjoy being pulled in all directions at the store. In some Dwight-like way, it makes me feel important. Don't judge me! I am 30 years old and working retail. I've got to find the power and the validation wherever I can get it.

So, on the note of the Local Author Event, it has been a very enlightening experience. Here are a few things that I have learned:

1. People who write a book, and then publish locally are, shall we say, a little crazy!! Well, at least the ones that I have met. One lady keeps calling me with the same questions, and then comes in the store to ask them again, or at least to stare at me while I try to figure out how to walk away and end the conversation without appearing rude. Oh, we've already stopped talking, she's just standing there...looking into my soul in the manner of RGS. Then there is another author who had to come into the store to see "what the real-live Jenny looks like!" She also told me her life story and gave me a pen which she said just might change my life.

2. Publicists are also a bit crazy. They will call me and try to sell me an event, and when I have already accepted, they are still working me like we're at a cocktail party, circulating and networking. I know, I know. They just want to feel validated as well. At least they're professionals, and get back to me in a timely manner.

3. I am still learning. Managers, authors, children, performers, and even Lethbridge Herald advertisers have been very kind to this very green events coordinator, and I am grateful. However, I haven't made any glaring errors as of yet...I do not count the popcorn machine as an error. We gave the bank the 25 dollar deposit for a reason. Besides, I blame the mental case who put the machine into the car in a dangerous and precarious manner. The guy did not seem overly bright. How can it be our fault? I ask you?

So, the Hallowe'en Carnival. Carnivale! It went unbelievably well entirely because of the amazing staff we have working at our store. Everyone was so willing to help and the whole thing went as smoothly as possible. Anyone who knows me knows my dislike of the delegating...but when you have a host of reliable people to...rely on it is the best tool in the world. Yay!! I think the best parts of the evening were eating the popcorn, pretending to work while chatting with staff, going to O-sho with everyone later, and announcing that every kid there got a 5 dollar gift card!

Anyway, I should really clean the house and possible make some lunch. I am definitely feeling like the lettuce wraps. The noodles will be so easy to make with the aid of my new collander!!! It cost 24 cents. What? Yup! 24 cents. Thanks to the prettiest guy (at least when he wears the coat...) we know for finding the deal of the night...nay, the year. Guess what everyone's getting for Christmas? Just let me now if you want pink, blue, or white.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Okay, okay, he might just be the prettiest boy we know (when he wears his Sylar-esque jacket ) and he is no doubt beaming with pride that we mentioned it.

It has always been my belief that Chapters would be completely lost without you.