Tuesday, December 26, 2006

things that you should not do at home come naturally..

Christmas was fantastic this year! Hooray!! For starters, I did get some gifts. (flashback to the saddest Christmas morning last year when I was the only one without a spouse or not in a "serious relationship", watching everyone open presents) I got great presents - Thanks to Greg for the beautiful picture which I will love forever. And, in about 4 days, I will officially come into the 21st century when I get MY IPOD NANO!!! I am beyond excited to have all of my music in one place. I just know that it will revolutionize my public transit experience.

The food was, of course, great as usual. Our appetizer night on Christmas Eve was heavenly. Adam's homemade baguettes were to die for (even the new and exciting cheeses - yay Norway) The butter tarts, ther caramels...thank heavens for the regime Jess, Adam and I are starting in January.

I have been thinking about Christmas movies, and I came up with my top 5 Christmas movies of all time. In no particular order:

1. Christmas in Conneticut. Barbara Stanwyck is so delightful in this film. Her desperate attempts to be the domestic wonder woman of her column make me almost as uncomfortable as Michael Scott's antics.

2. White Christmas. Great dancing, singing, humor, romance and the wonderful Danny Kaye make me love this movie every time I see it. I don't know how many times I have watched and rewatched the dance number "The best things happen while you're dancing"

3. Holiday Inn: The sweetness of Bing Crosby's character, the smarminess of Fred Astaire's, the first film appearance of the song "White Christmas", the dancing, and Irving Berlin's music make me love, love , love this movie. I remember that we had it in a tape with no name, and so we never knew what it was called for years!

4. A Muppet Christmas Carol: "Light the lamp, not the rat!" This is probably my favorite tellings of the Dicken's story for Michael Caine, Kermit the frog, Beaker (love, love, love him) and the wonderful cheesy music.

5. A Midwinter's Tale: A relativley unknown movie, it was written and directed by Kenneth Branagh. It is about a group of actors who are preparing a production of Hamlet for Christmas Day and it is sweet, funny, sharp and heart-breaking. Jess and I discovered it awhile ago, and I watch it at least once a year now.

Anyway, I should probably go and dress so I can prepare for the crazy ones, Mark and Steven, who will be here later today.

Merry Christmas!!

No comments: