Wednesday, December 20, 2006

placating bad drivers since 1977

Since when did it become a bad thing to be annoyed when someone almost runs you over with a minivan?
Yesterday I was (furtively) on my way to the store I love to hate, "The Bargain!Bargain! Bargain! shop, and as I was crossing the street right by that respected establishment, I looked up to see a van headed straight for me. I WAS ON THE CROSSWALK, and the van just kept coming. I had to start running backwards, while the lady driving was looking everywhere but straight ahead AT THE PERSON SHE WAS INCHES AWAY FROM HITTING. When she finally looked up, she slammed on her brakes with a horrified look on her face. I quickly stepped up on the sidewalk, and by doing so, came around the side of the van. She rolled down the window and apologized. Now, a good person would have apologized for walking ON THE CROSSWALK WHILE THERE WAS A WALK SIGNAL ON and for getting in her way. On any other day I may have smiled and tried to make her feel better for being such a terrible driver. However, this was not to be that day. I was already stressed about the Relief Society dinner that evening, and I was annoyed that I had to go to the Bargain shop at all. So, when this lady apologized I just said "Yeah, Whatever!" in a hostile tone, and kept on my way. Anyway, when I told some people the story, they were scandalized that I had been so rude to the lady. Just chalk the attitude up to my embarassment at having to run to avoid being hit. Whatever!

Other than that controversial incident, my evening was actually really great. The R.S. dinner was fantastic! We had a great turnout, and the decorations and program were wonderful. Hooray!!

No comments: