Thursday, December 07, 2006

Is it hard to be a cashier with no bra?

The retail countdown to Christmas continues to be an absolute gong-show. Not the least of the crazy is coming in on the phone. "Hi, I hear you guys have lots of books there..." That was my favorite opener of the day. I don't know who told that gentleman that we sell books at Chapters, but he was seriously informed. We do sell books, my brother, and a darn tootin' lot of 'em, is how I wanted to respond. Crazy also comes waltzing through the front door. Today I had a lady who said: "I'm looking for a c.d. that I have been told you have here. It is by a young guy, and it's a fairly new one." I asked her if she knew who the artist was, and she said no, and looked at me as if I was the one who was stupid! I dug my toes into my shoes and started firing names off at her. With each name she only said no, and was becoming visibly impatient. !!!!!! She then made a huge deal of saying she would have to go to the car to get the piece of paper on which she had the person written down. (Why wouldn't she have just brought...) She finally said "I think its Corbin, or something". "Josh Groban?", I asked. Yes, that was it. She wasn't that grateful that I had finally read her mind, she was only mildly annoyed it had taken me all of 2 minutes. There is also crazy right under our noses at Chapitres. Kristy, or "Cat-lovin' Kristy" as she calls herself, was in the staff room with myself and 3 other female coworkers just before her shift started. Suddenly, she whipped off her shirt, and she was completely naked from the waist up. NO BRA. Now, this is a neither young, nor particularly skinny lady. The rest of us just stared at eachother while she rummaged (topless, remember) through her locker for a work-appropriate shirt, which she then put on. Still no bra. What on earth would make a person think that it was in any way appropriate to disrobe in front of virtual strangers, and in a room where a man or boy might walk in at any minute. I think about poor Robbie, our sweet young employee who only narrowly missed being scarred for life...

I am looking forward to this weekend and the tons of things that are going on. I will be singing in the Stake Carol Festival, where I will be in at least three numbers, and who knows, by the end of the night I may be in more. I was of course asked last Sunday if I could get something together for our ward, and I was then asked by some London Road members if I could sing in their quartet. And, of course, there is the incomparable Institute choir. I am happy to help, however, I feel like I will be up there almost too much. Ah, c'est la vie. It wouldn't be my life unless I was finding numerous ways to "exhibit".
Ciao for now!

No comments: