Saturday, November 11, 2006

There's Jenny and she's writing stuff

Ha!
I have just emailed literally 8 people to tell them about my new site. Sometimes it amazes me how very few people I know. Or maybe its that I don't want anyone else to know how boring and trivial my life is. Just think: some people are helping out in the world of the law, some are pursuing higher education, some are having babies, some are shaping young minds right and left, some are creating amazing works of art, and the list goes on. I am...sellin' books. Although, I am now the "assistant" to the assistant manager in charge of cd's and dvd's. (I am really having such a Dwight moment!!) What this really means is that I am doing all the work in that section, but am still answering to someone else, and sitting meekly by when she receives all the praise of the new and improved audio-visual section. Sigh... Mostly, I am to be found at cash trying to sort throught the discount cd's (of which we have thousands. They are grouped under the fake name of Helen Manning. I say that this is a fake name, for it is clearly a pseudonym to protect her from myself and others like me who would poke her eyes out if we ever met her) and crying hysterically in the corner when Andrew points out that there are two more boxes of Helen.

This brings me to another griping point. Christmas in the retail world. I love Christmas. I absolutely adore it with all of my heart. However, the last two years have tested and tried this love and adoration to the breaking point. In my family we have never been materialistic at Christmas, and I naively assumed everyone was the same. However, there are people who go into a veritable frenzy (and not the good "fall" kind") when we do not carry the perfect Christmas present they have been searching for. Oh, and wait. This happened yesterday. November the 10th. Seriously people. Halloween has just ended. Let's show my 2nd favorite holiday a little respect by easing out of it, and pausing every once in a while to remember the costumes and candy before we stick up the tree, and start spending thousands of dollars on mere acquaintances. I have had amazing Christmases because I love the music, I love the food, I love getting together with family and friends, I love the celebration of Christ and I love that in our family we do a no money/home-made present Christmas every other year. I am afraid, however, that another Christmas where thefocus is sell, sell, sell may drive me over the edge. I hope not.

O.k. enough complaining. Yesterday I made my "preference drop" with the help of the lovely Ashley and Sarah. It went pretty well, but I am so nervous about asking someone. What if he says no? What if he says yes out of pity for my advanced years? What if he thinks I'm disgusting? I hope it does work out because I am excited to go to my first Preference. I have the dress - one which didn't fit a month ago and now it does, so Yay!! Today I am taking the roommates shopping for Preference clothes. You know I love shopping!

No comments: