Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Summer in the city means...

Hello from the largest city in Canada!! I have arrived in my new home for the next 18 months to 2 years, and I am starting to become a bit more acclimatized. It is extremely hot and humid here, the likes of which I could not have even imagined during my 33 years in the desert. It is unbelievably crowded and jam-packed with all different kinds of people. It is full of many, many things to see and do. I have been laying a bit low over the last few days due to a bit of fear, heat stroke (real or imagined), and tiredness from the trip out here, but have had the chance to see a few things. I am also in the middle of a 2 week long holiday, and so I am going to start exploring...

On Monday, I went to the University to find my building and do some registration stuff. Luckily, my building is probably the easiest to find on campus, as it is right on a main avenue and subway line. I came out of the subway at St. George station and walked about 25 steps. This was a blessing as the temperature yesterday was 34 degrees. (I was not so blessed as I tried to make my way home on the street car later, and not knowing exactly where I as going, walked a lot longer than I probably needed to.)

That evening, Travis showed me around downtown and along the lakeshore. It had cooled down a little, but it was still extremely balmy. We ate at a wonderful little Thai restaurant and then proceeded to walk around for the next 3 hours. It was great exercise, and I was able to see the legislature, city hall, lakeshore and a smidgen of the university campus at night.



Here is a picture of Dundas Square(I think!!), right across from Eaton Centre on Yonge Street.
Lovely!!

Tonight we are heading to Ryerson University to see Peter Katz play!

More to come soon!


1 comment:

tlo said...

It is sounding good! Love the picture! So good to hear your voice today.