Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Back from the "sad"

O.k., so here it is: Post #199. It almost feels like a penultimate one, but fear not, gentle readers, I will not be stopping at 20o.

I am sorry for the lack of posts as of late. My excuse is that not only did I call into work "sad" the other day, I have been using "sad" as an excuse to avoid many things. Washing my car, cleaning my room, doing the dishes (thanks to Denise for helping me out here), and also writing on the blog.

If you are following Denise, you will know that there is a hole in our lives right now. I also miss Leita terribly. Her memorial service was on Saturday, and I wish I could sit down with her to find out what she thought of it. I think she would have loved to hear her mom talk about her early life. I am pretty sure she would have forgiven me for singing pretty shakily during my song. I know she would have loved to hear Denise's words about their friendship, and seen the beautiful video presentation she put together. I really would like to know what she thought about the crazy lady, who, during the "open mic" session, said that she hadn't known Leita. This did not stop her from telling the story of when her roommate, Cindy, had died from cancer 30 years ago. The story was long, but at least it was mildly inappropriate as the lady implied that Cindy visited her on a regular basis. I suppose that like Cousin Stickles, funerals brought back her own sad loss.

Anyway, things are slowly getting back to normal. I have been promising a HP6 review, so here it is: I didn't especially love it for the following reasons

1. It wasn't as dark as I wanted it to be. It almost felt like a romantic comedy at times, and the intense parts of the movie were few and far between.

2.They added stuff that I didn't like, such as the burning down of the Weasley's house. Huh?

3. The Harry and Ginny story wasn't great. I prefer the kiss in the book, and when , in the movie, Ginny bent down and tied Harry's shoes, I couldn't stop myself from yelling "Barf"!

4. I thought Daniel Radcliffe's acting left much to be desired. He did such a great job in the 5th movie, and so I expected the same level of emotion and intensity in this one. However, he just seemed embarrassed to be part of it all, or kind of like a guy who just wandered in to Hogwart's.

5. Dumbledore's death happened too quickly, and the movie ended too quickly after he died. In the book, the scene in the tower where Dumbledore was begging Snape to kill him was heart-breaking, but in the movie, it just went by so quickly.

6. I HATED the reveal of Snape as the "Half-Blood Prince". It came at the most inappropriate and awkward time, and it felt like they just threw it in at the end because they realized that they had just let that aspect of the plot get buried under everything else, and they had better hastily tie it up. When Snape suddenly says "I'm the Half-Blood Prince" it was way too cheesy, and I had to restrain myself from yelling "I'm the Half-Blood Prince in the manner of "I'm Darby Shaw!" It is probably a good thing that Jess wasn't there...

After all of that, I didn't hate the movie, I just thought it could have been better. Maybe I am just getting tired of HP movies. So, bring out your torches, and lynch me any time. I know that most of you are still mad I didn't like "Wolverine", and that I am still refusing to see "Star Trek".

I think I am just getting crotchety in my old age.

See you on the 200th post!!

3 comments:

Adam said...

Yay!! Thanks for another blog! I'm sorry I hassled you so bad. I can't wait for #200.

Denise said...

I totally thought I could somewhat discuss Harry Potter with people, even though I have never picked up even one book in the series.

But after your movie review, it is clear that I have NO idea about the world of Harry Potter.

Unknown said...

Agreed on the shoe-tying part... Chris looked like he wanted to vomit a few times Harry and Ginny were on screen!