Wednesday, October 08, 2008

When did fire safety become uncool?

So here is my ridiculous story of the day. This morning I stopped to get some gas because I probably wouldn’t have made it to the College if I hadn’t. I got out, and as I tried to put the nozzle into my gas tank, it wouldn’t go in, and I couldn’t make the buttons work, and the whole thing just kept beeping at me. I was in a hurry, and was getting a bit frustrated when an old man appeared out of nowhere to tell me I was trying to put Diesel into my car. It was true. I was using the wrong nozzle. The old guy kept telling me that next time I should come through the Full Serve pumps because he loves to help out beautiful ladies. He said it about 5 times, inching closer to me with every plea. I thanked him, laughed nervously, and practically wrestled him for the correct nozzle. He finally left me alone, but when I went in to pay, he was skulking in the corner, leering at me. I could almost see him mouthing the phrases “full serve” and “beautiful lady” as he ogled me. So here is the lesson I have taken away from this experience. When you act like a helpless girl, creepy old men might do everything they can to take advantage of it. In my defense, I was really tired, and the reason for my lethargy is the second story of the day. This one, however, occurred at about 4:00 am, so the middle of the night may actually constitute story of yesterday.

Regardless… Denise and I were awakened at 3:45 by the fire alarm in our building going off. Now, I have lived in several apartment buildings in Edmonton, and the fire alarm went off in every single one of them for one reason or another. In those instances, I learned that you exit the building when it happens, no matter what the time. Andrea will testify to the fact that at Garneau Towers, it could be any time of the night!! I remember a few instances where the whole building congregated in the street until the Fire trucks came to give us the o.k. to go back in. So, like the good little conditioned girl that I am, and really, because I don’t really relish the idea of burning to a crisp in my bed (who let those orphans in?), I hopped up, grabbed Denise and we went outside. No one else was there. Well, there were a couple of ne’er do wells walking through our parking lot (At 4:00 am? Probably our favorite car thieves), but no other tenants came out of the building. Denise and I went to her car to stay warm, and to wait for the fire trucks. No fire trucks came!! Heaven forbid there really had been a fire! The alarm stopped, and we went back inside. Apparently all of the other residents were too tired to not be burned!! I laid awake for the next 30 minutes, as the alarm jangled my nerves quite a bit. I also made a pact with myself that no matter how uncool it is, I will always exit the building when the fire alarm sounds. If anything, it makes for a killer story on the blog.

I am on my way to the gym (I am trying!!), and going to try something other than the treadmill. I may have to ask someone for help (shock and horror!!), but I want to find a few things I like to do, so I am not just on the treadmill for 50 minutes. If anyone out there has tips or hints, please let me know.

No comments: