Monday, September 15, 2008

An update...albeit a boring one

Once again, it has been a grotesquely long time since I last wrote. Why? Most likely because I have been pretty busy. Really! I have barely even seen Denise.

The job at the College is getting better all the time, and I am enjoying the increased pay. I think that money really will be a great substitute for love… I am finally getting all of my students’ schedules finalized, which means mine is pretty much set as well. One of the best things about this position is that there is a lot of running around, from classes to students to meetings, etc. I find I am a person who needs to move around a lot, and bouncing from thing to thing fits in perfectly with my short attention span, and the way my thoughts jump around so much. My co-workers are great, and there are already practical jokes (one including a lovely seal statue and fantastic hiding places like the mini-fridge) in the works. Our offices are still a bit hectic, as they were being painted over the summer, and we just got back into them last week. I have a desk, a phone (with a number!!), a computer, and a white/bulletin board all for me. It is so exciting to have my own office, and I am getting ready to put up pictures on my desk of various family and friends. Yeah…I am going to be one of those people! We have been ordering office supplies, and so soon my desk will be resplendent with organizational accoutrements. I am also building a great rapport with my three students. They are all pretty independent, but there are two classes that I am attending with them. In the one I went to today, we did cooking activities, and I got to take home nuts and bolts, and cracker spread. Such a hard life I lead… One of my students was quite reserved when we first met, and has taken quite awhile to open up. Today, he told me a story from Friday afternoon, when he accidentally went to the wrong class! Once he realized, he quickly got out of there and went to the right classroom. He was absolutely laughing his head off as he told me the experience, and it was so great to see him so comfortable with me and with the school. Another one of my students, after we had only met once, refused to work with me. But…I met with her a couple of times, and we went to her first class together where we played Pongee hockey (a type of floor hockey you play with foam ended sticks). It was an instant bonding experience. Things have been really good since that class!

I am still at Chapters, which is basically like my second home. It has been great getting to know the night people better, and I am glad of the second pay-check. I am planning a trip to Paris next year, and I want to have a lot saved.

Sorry this is such a boring post, I guess this is more like a journal today.

Be smart. Be happy.

Go to church…at least you’re not in Nursery!!

1 comment:

LeitaAnn said...

Are you in nursery??

I'm happy you are enjoying the job! It's great to know. Keep up the good work since it sounds like you are doing amazing already!