Thursday, May 29, 2008

I saw something nasty at Chapters 934

Last night I saw a most disturbing sight at work. There was this "couple", or at least that is what I thought they were, rough-housing/romping/playing piggy-back/I am not really sure what/ in the power aisle. When a colleague and I got a good look at them, we were slightly horrified to see that the man looked about 40, and the girl looked about...13. Bear in mind, we weren't that close to them, and they were hanging onto each other in a way that we couldn't get a really good look at their faces. So, there were a few pedophile jokes made...questions about where the creepy van in the parking lot was. Pretty standard stuff. However, the story takes an interesting turn as I got a better look at them while I was at the cash desk. The man absolutely was 40ish (balding, bearded) and the girl was definitely not more than 13 or 14. There was also a teenage boy with the duo at this point (he was not involved in the "canoodling"), which led me to believe that it was some sort of...daddy-daughter rough-housing/romping...uhh, you get the picture. Unfortunately that picture is seared into my brain.

Anyway, good morning to one and all...or if you are 8 hours in the future these days, good afternoon. I hope you are enjoying France. I am not jealous.

I am not jealous.

I was greeted last night by the inevitable. A letter was waiting for me when I got home from work that let me know that I was not accepted to the University of Saskatchewan. To soften the blow of rejection, Doreen (who does not work at Chapters...hah! beat you all to the punch! You will never win at my game) Petrow, Admissions Secretary for the College of Law, wrote these words:

"I wish to thank you for you interest in our college and wish you success in your future endeavors"

I can not begin to tell you how these words have eased the pain with their sincerity, originality, and heart-felt honesty.

Joking aside, I am not overly upset about this set-back. I reconciled myself a few months ago to the fact that I probably wouldn't get in, and at least I know now what I need to do, and how I can proceed in my life. Yes, I will write that blasted LSAT one more time, and then I will apply to many schools to hopefully increase my chances. In the meantime I will continue to look for a better job (please, if you hear of anything, let me know), and will enjoy my new apartment with Denise.

And really, rejection is just par for the course for me. Oh, come on. You know its true.

O.k., poetry day!! Here is one of my favorites for the lush language that conjures up a feeling of summer. Also, the Vaughn Williams setting of the text is amazing - check out the song/video by Ian Bostridge on my facebook profile (under songs iLike). The video is a bit goofy, but Williams' warm chords and Bostridge's clear English tenor (are there any other kind?) make my hear melt a little when I hear it.

Silent Noon (Sonnet XIX)
Your hands lie open in the long fresh grass,-
The finger-points look through, like rosy blooms:
Your eyes smile peace. The pasture gleams and glooms
'Neath billowing skies that scatter and amass.
All round our nest far, as the eye can pass
Are golden kingcup fields with silver edge
Where the cow-parsley skirts the hawthorn-hedge
'Tis visible silence, still as the hour-glass.

Deep in the sun searched groves, a dragon-fly
Hangs, like a blue thread loosened from the sky:-
So this winged hour is dropt to us from above.
Oh! clasp we to our hearts, for deathless dower
This close-companioned inarticulate hour
When twofold silence was the song of love.

-- Dante Gabriel Rossetti


1 comment:

Denise said...

I’m not going to lie. When I picked up the mail last night and saw the letter from the U of S, I held my breath. Carrying a six month lease by myself, while possible, would not be nearly as fun without you.

Hope you got plenty of packing done. Can’t wait to move with you!