Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mine was crazy...thanks for asking

What a day.

For those of you who have not heard yet (and for the staggering amount of people who read this), my dear Mary was in the hospital today, and just had her gall bladder (or the g.b. as Jess would fondly reminisce) taken out this evening.

It all started when she woke me up at 5:00am in excruciating pain, and I took her into Emergency. She was admitted within 20 minutes, and then...we both waited there for 5 hours. Mary in the Emergency room, and me out in the waiting room. Highlights included apple juice from the vending machine, old creepy guy who kept trying to get me to sit next to him ("Are you sure you don't want to sit here?"), the lady with a head wound, falling asleep on the really uncomfortable chairs, and getting into trouble for using my cell phone back in the ER. Luckily Mary is doing pretty well (we went and saw her tonight) and I am going to pick her up tomorrow. Oh, yeah. My other favorite part of the day was when I went to take Mary's car home, and it wouldn't start. Now, I know literally nothing about cars, so I started calling people who might be able to help. I called an assortment of people who were either not home or unable to help. So, fueled by no sleep, desperation, and worry about Mary, I was in tears by the time I called the ever-reliable Travis. I didn't want to call him because he already has his hands full with driving me around the city and taking care of the whole world, but like I said, there was definite desperation!! The best part of this story comes when literally seconds before Travis arrived, the car started. To Travis: words can not express my gratitude for coming to my (imaginary) rescue, my embarrassment about my panic and stupidness regarding automobiles, and my deepest apologies for making you waste your time.

As Denise and I pondered on the craziness of this day; the day that apparently Satan approved, we discussed a question. Do all girls have a JTW? If this reference is lost on you, I will tell you that it is the guy who you met, had a real connection with, and then who walked out of your life leaving you to wonder if you had just imagined him. (Note: If said person is witnessed by three roommates...he still may not exist!!) Flick had hers, Denise had her Carson Daly, and I had one once upon a time.

So what are the requirements for the JTW?
1. He must be unavailable in some real way. Examples? Either he is forbidden from dating, or he is moving in 3 weeks, or he is completely unschooled in the ways of dating/too young.

2. There is a definite connection between you two. The conversation flows, the similarities are legion, and/or there is a shared love of common t.v. shows/movies.

3. He moves away.

I think all girls have such an anomaly, and I think we are haunted for a good part of out lives by these men who seem too good to be true.

I think this will be the only post for the week, at least until Saturday when I write the LSAT. I will freely admit here that I am absolutely scared to death, and will be so grateful to have it over with, no matter how well or poorly I do.

"Say a prayer for me tonight"

No comments: