Friday, November 16, 2007

"But I don't know who would do the dishes, cause I'd be lying wasted in the road"

"And if the ancient wisdom came in bottles
I would show my terror where to go..."

-Sarah Slean

In an effort to create the greatest year in review c.d. this Christmas, I have been revisiting old music, introducing myself to new material, pirating from Jess and Adam's collection, and trying to pin down the perfect songs for 2007. In some ways it is really easy - finding the songs I love is never hard. Here are some of the bonuses:

1. Finding a song that personifies/expresses/exploits an emotion or experience I had. You know how it is...you are listening to a song and suddenly the lyrics just punch you in the throat. Hello! How did that artist see inside my head? This has happened to me a lot this year right from "So Unsexy" all the way to the new favorite "False Alarm" by James Murdoch. (wait for this one on the cd) I think I may be a person who lets myself become a little too involved in music (also the person who has to read poetry only occasionally due to the emotional craziness that ensues...) and can be easily swayed by the emotions of the song. But, this has also allowed me many great cathartic experiences when talking about personal drama just wasn't a possibility.

2. Sharing my music with those I love. O.k., I know that most people lost or misplaced my cd last year, (I know, I know, it was taken) but here's hoping that if you get a copy, you will at least give it one listen through. Indulge me. My music may be foreign or "interesting" to you, but it reflects a part of me, and I know most of you think I'm somewhat o.k. Come on - embrace the world of the female singer-songwriter...

There are a few complications, however.

1. Narrowing it down. There are so many amazing songs that explore the emotional roller-coaster that was 2007. It is hard to find the perfect balance to reflect everything. So, I will try not to make it a double discer. Really. Maybe I will also post a list of all the runners-up.

2. The problem with such an endeavor is the emotions which are laid bare. Just out there. For everyone who has any kind of analysis ability or knowledge of my experiences (and weaknesses) to see. And...hopefully not exploit.
"I have spread my dreams under you feet
Tread softly-
because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats

So, it will be fun, scary, thought-provoking, and, of course, a joy.

Anyway, the weekend is looking like it is shaping up to be a great time. Can't wait to:

meet the new guy
see the Christmas tree lit up (perfect start to my favorite holiday!)
spend time with my favorite Calgarian
enjoy "Chapters celebrates Kids" - should be a...time
read my new Buffy graphic novel) Don't judge me!
have dinner with Cam, Greg, and Erika

Hope you all have a wonderful couple of days...

No comments: