Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Kate

As December 15th is fast approaching, I have been thinking alot lately about stuff, life, love, whatever. This morning I wrote a poem, and I really do find that I write them when the inspiration strikes. So, here it is:

Thank heavens no one will read this

I have had my heart broken
by neither boy nor man.
They have kept their distance
from my charms and insecurities
as I have walked
with my arms outstretched
(wait, its not what you think)
keeping them where they're perfect
and knocking them flat-
those who tried the unthinkable.

It has broken, though
this heart I have buried
in lungs and ribs and fear
by the sweetest black-haired girl
I never knew.
The one who wouldn't come
even when I prayed
(wasn't I always taught to?)
the one who like her mother
stubbornly remained expressionless
to all my pleading and rage.

It was she who stole
the breathing beating mess
and split it, crushed it deftly
with tiny moon-tipped fingers.
But to boy and man
it has (oh, my heart!)
stayed hidden like hers
elusive quiet
waiting for the quickening.

December 13th, 2006.

No comments: