Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The Thrill is Gone

Here is a sad story from yesterday: Andrea gave me a Visa gift card so that I could buy a purse with it. You might not now that I made a vow not to buy a purse this year. So far, I have kept this resolution, despite being sorely tempted time and again. Andrea assured me that because it wasn't my money, it would be o.k. to get one. But, I could not find one that I really liked within the price range. There were some that were o.k., but nothing really called out to me and begged me to take it home. That is probably the first time I have not found at least one bag that I liked. Either my relationship with purses is fading, or I have terrible luck. Let's pray for once that it is the latter.

So, last night I was laying on my bed, looking at my newly set-up book shelves, and I thought I would give a few recommendations from my personal library.

1. Rebecca by Daphne Dumaurier. This is a classic, and deservedly so. It is a romance/mystery that engages you from the first page. It is told in first person, and the narrator is compelling in her obsessiveness and insecurity. Read it - I do at least once a year

2.The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. This is one of her lesser known books, but the characters are absolutely delightful. Although it is highly sentimental, it has a lot of humour and bits of sarcasm to balance it out.

3. Anything by Anne Perry. She is a Victorian mystery novelist, and her description and portrayal of Victorian London is fascinating. Her exploration of societal customs, fashion, and social issues make each book extremely interesting. Her first series is being re-published, so start with The Cater Street Hangman

That is a few, and I will be bringing more to you in the coming weeks.

No comments: