Thursday, May 14, 2009

Get in shape, girl

You might as well kill me right now and I will tell you why:

I have decided to give up some of my favorite things, and to introduce some newer and slightly painful ones in their place. I hit a weight so high last week that I decided that it was absolutely time to change my physical lifestyle. I knew that I needed to set some realistic goals, and so I have given myself a year to lose a certain amount of weight, and I think it will be doable. Unfortunately, there are a few sacrifices that are involved. I have decided to cut way, way back on the breads and pasta. I will instead be eating the whole grains as much as possible. Is this a fair trade? Heck, no. I am also cutting out the sugar, except for fruit, and this is already making me sad. I went to a retirement party for a colleague yesterday, and the desserts looked amazing... Luckily there was cheese and crackers. This is not to say that I won't occasionally partake, but it will not be on a daily or even weekly basis. The biggest decision I have made is to stop eating fast food. This one is really hard, because sometimes I am just too tired to cook, and it is so easy to run out for a hamburger. I also really, really, love hamburgers. I will just have to go home to my parents more often to partake in the barbecued hamburgers there. (Did you get that, Mom?) Just when you thought that the regime couldn't be any more depressing, I am adding in Aquafit 4 times a week, and walking more. Actually, I really enjoy the deep water jogging, although during the extended cardio session last night, I was ready to punch our unbelievably cute instructor in the throat.

So, it has been a week, and a hard one at that, but I have already seen some results, and it feels good to be actually doing something positive. I think the hardest part will be having the patience to do it over a year and be happy with the results coming gradually. I live in a society where I want everything right now, and with the littlest amount of effort possible.

Wish me luck, and if you see me venturing anywhere near a Wendy's, please stop me.

2 comments:

tlo said...

What can I say? I have been sitting here on the couch(watching TV - maybe if I'd do something more productive!) wishing I could just go crazy on some kind of fantastic junky food and I came in here and logged onto your blog, just in case there was something new, and sure enough you were there making commitments and I had to stop, or defer, the junk food thoughts! Just get through one day at a time(cheesy, I know) but that's how you do it. You've always got my support. Results are a fantastic motivator.

Laura said...

I'd do deep water workout if I were there with you... maybe in the fall.