Thursday, May 22, 2008

Queries, updates, and a smattering of poetry

I have a couple of questions. Queries, if you will. So, please don't ever let it be said that Jenny is not quizzical, 'cause she is. Obnoxiously so.

1. What happened to all of the cute guys who used to work at Starbucks? Remember Mark? The adorable guy with the most beautiful voice? I used to hang out in fiction just to hear him call out the orders...Never has the phrase "I have a grande green tea frappucino" sounded so good... Then there was Jason, the swimmer with the deliciously curly hair. Now there is bald guy, old guy, and kind of cute but mostly just funny looking tall guy. Apparently all the cute ones are now at Kinkos.

2. Why is risotto so good? I made my second risotto this week for the new "trifecta of awesome" dinner tonight. It was such a throwback to the days in Edmonton when I used to have dinner with the Piccos (the wonderful family I worked for who fed me pretty much every night during my first two years of University) when we used to have barbecued steak and risotto. It has been years since those days, and I was getting a hankering for some great Italian food. So I found a recipe on the internet, and made my very own risotto. I am not trying to toot my own horn, or anything, but it was pretty darn delicious, and if you want some, you need only to ask, because it won't be long until I require my next fix...

So, with questions out of the way, here is some news from the store. We have a new manager, and he is none other than our dear Travis K. There is also some other news, but that will have to wait until Sunday when it is officially announced at the semi-formal staff meeting we are having. Yes, you read that right. A semi-formal staff meeting. Not only do I have to give up three hours of my Sunday, but I have to do it in a dress. I have been feeling out other staff, and most people are not overly impressed, mostly because none of them actually have semi-formal clothes. That is not my problem, I just like to take off the dress clothes at 2:00, and now that I am not inundated with firesides every week, I don't like to put them back on.

O.k., Thursday. Poetry day. I thought I would include a bit of everything today, just to make up for my lack of writing. I apologize about last Thursday, but I was somewhere over Greenland. How often do you get to say that?

So, first, a shout-out to Andrea with a little poem from the old days. Who does not love a little W.C.W.?

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

- William Carlos Williams

I am also giving you another poem of mine from the old days - specifically, from my last days at the U of A.


This is my...

On the last day of class
you wore royal blue.
I was reminded
of your sharp comments
and - I think it was-
disappointment?

But I also remembered
how it felt to walk
into your room,
the sound of my name
and your devastating hair
and humour.

-J.K.O. Aug. 11th, 2004

Remember everyone: "If you can dream it, you can do it".


No comments: