Saturday, May 10, 2008

Musings on art, dodgy establishments, and mid-morning shopping

I have now become an inhabitor of Internet Cafes. They are as plentiful here as Starbucks in Noth America. The ones I have been to, however, including the one I am in right now have all been dodgy for different reasons. The first one I found was actually a gaming centre (this should alert you to what types of people were frequenting the establishment), and it was up a couple of flights of stairs in what apeared to be some guy's living room. Dark, sketchy, and filled with gamers. However, the guy running it was really nice, and it was only 1 euro for an hour. Today's choice is a bit better lit, but smells like a guy's bathroom, and is hotter than I can handle.

Dublin today was a bit rainy, but great for shopping. Jess and I went "down to the shops", and enjoyed being out with the many other shoppers. We love that the shopping streets are all just pedestrian roads. In the afternoon we went to the Hugh Lane City Gallery, where we saw some wonderful art and some modern installations that were...not so wonderful. I know that I am not versed in the ways of art, but the pieces did not "speak a thousand words" like the placard promised they would. Some of my highlights included a winter scene by Monet, a bust of Michael Collins who just looked a lot like Kenneth Branagh, everything by a painter named Osbourne (I think his fist name was William) and the stain glass by Harry Clarke. These last pieces were absolutely amazing. Seriously. Look him up on the Google. You will not be sorry.

Off to church tomorrow! We are pretty sure we know how to get there, and we are not afraid to ask the bus drivers.

Enjoy the past. Stay in school. Go to church.

No comments: